Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:11:39 -0600
From:      Darren Crotchett <darren@crotchett.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Tsalicoglou, Isaak" <tisaak@student.ethz.ch>
Subject:   Re: *NIX Selection

I'm not far behind you.  I've been using Linux for awhile.  I've been using
FreeBSD for my web and ftp server for a few months.

Here's what I like about Linux over FreeBSD.

With a distro like Mandrake, you are on the cutting edge of software.  So,
for a desktop, that is good.  For a server, it might not be what you want.

Here's what I like about FreeBSD over Linux.  The documentation that comes
with the FreeBSD or online at the FreeBSD website.  The documented config
files and /stand/sysintall and the man pages are nothing short of
outstanding.  I've used OpenBSD before, as well.  The documentation for it is
also outstanding.  They have a file (I forget the name) that is like an
overall README for the beginner designed for right after you install.  It
points you in the right direction.

I also like the BSD style init instead of System V.  In BSD, the startup
scripts are alot more concise and easier to edit and find what you want.

Something else that I did with FreeBSD just yesterday was set up an NFS
server.  Never having done it before, it took all of about 3-5 minutes.  It
was so easy.  Just about 3 or 4 steps.

1.  start /stand/sysinstall
2.  tell it you want to set up an NFS server or client
3.  it will automatically drop you into the correct config file to edit.  All
of the documentation and examples that you need are already in the config
file.
4.  Restart /etc/inetd with killall -HUP /etc/inetd
Then, you just go to Linux and mount whatever partitions you set up.

It's awesome.

One more thing that I really like about FreeBSD is the ports tree.  I'm still
trying to figure out the difference between the ports and the packages
(haven't read enough yet - the documentation is there, I just not had time to
do more than scan it).  But, what I've figured out so far is that if you want
a program (ncftp for example), just go to /usr/ports/ftp/ncftp and type make
install.  It will install anything that you need that you don't have, plus
the program you want (in this case, ncftp).

Give yourself time to learn the differences between the jargon and I think
you'll be glad you took the time.

I'll probably keep running both for different purposes.  But, I love FreeBSD.

Good luck,
Darren