Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2007 23:00:34 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kevin Way <kevin@insidesystems.net>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"

On Friday 09 February 2007 20:29, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 01:49:08PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 04:06:56PM -0500, Kevin Way wrote:
> > > I recently ran into a bug in the jail startup scripts that caused this
> > > command to be executed:
> > >
> > >     ifconfig bce0 -alias
> > >
> > > It turns out that this command eliminated the primary IP for the
> > > device.

=2E...

> It's way to late to make this change.  This is known behavior and has
> been for ages.  If there's a bug it's in the documentation.

wellwell, we also were apes for ages but does not mean that we stay behavin=
g=20
like them  and if some still does so it is also never to late to change=20
that  ;)

"ifconfig nic -alias" is obviously a wired and confusing behaviour and shou=
ld=20
firstable do what it says, remove an alias and not the first IP address eve=
n=20
if it can be seen as an alias too. Logic would exist when ifconfig nic -ali=
as=20
removes all aliases (or perhaps first of them) but not one by one  starting=
=20
with the first ip. Then when there is no other alias left it should better=
=20
ask if removing the Ip address is really desired since it is essential to=20
have one. rmuser and other utilities also ask such kind of questions for le=
ss=20
reason.

then already beeing here there is more, ifconfig nic alias does not return=
=20
anything at all and ifconfig nic -alias on a nic w/o ip returns "can't assi=
gn=20
requested address" ...

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o