Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 05:35:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, peter@FreeBSD.ORG, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP seem to introduce some strange things...

> Thanks ! Ok, I'll cvsup and do a make world and report you
> the results this evening or tomorrow (my isdn line is out
> of order, cvsup via modem is more expensive...)

I have been working on the problem (and alot of others regarding both UP and
SMP in the VFS code.)  Rather than hacking a fix, I finally decided to rework
the code correctly.  If I don't have a good fix by tonight (say, 21:00 EST)
I'll back out my changes -- and we will have a proper fix within a few
days.  I don't want to hold up other's progress much longer.

The management of the vnodes and VM interface, and associated reference
counts is pretty tricky (and currently wrong.)  PHK is working on the
general vnode and namecache management (which is intricate in it's own
right), but I am working the VM interface and making it fine grained SMP
friendly.  Currently, it isn't.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org