Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:29:47 +0300
From:      Vagner <root.vagner@gmail.com>
To:        KAYVEN RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Russian's laws

On 16:24 Sun 01 Nov , KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Rick N wrote:
>

> > We're all certifiable with the *BSD's, no pun intended. :)
> >  I'm not sure if this helps but there is accepted "certs" for the BSD's.
> >
> > http://www.bsdcertification.org/ -and it's fairly cheap.
> >

> My understanding of what he said was that the Russian government needed to
> certify the operating system and then didn't?  Therefore the BSD
> certification is irrelevant?
>

> > as far as your "...How do you fight against corruption & bureaucraty in the government itself?..."
> >
> >  well, UNFORTUNATELY, every country in the world HAS THAT problem.
> >

> > GL
> >

> > Rick.

> >> Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:19:56 +0300
> >> From: root.vagner@gmail.com
> >> To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
> >> Subject: FreeBSD vs Russian's laws
> >>
> >> Good day! I wanted to share with you the situation in Russia and hear
> >> advice. In Russia introduced a law "On personal data" and the
> >> corresponding standarts. In accordance with these standarts process
> >> personal data (ie 80% of all data in the enterprise) can only by
> >> certified operating systems and software.
> >> Certified happening in the Federal Security Service in Russia (FSB in USA). But FreeBSD doesn't certify anyone.
> >> That is, in Russia are trying to ban the use os Freebsd and similar.
> >> For the use of face criminal liability. What do i do not kwow, but
> >> refuse to use FreeBSD, i don't intend to.  Thks
> >>
> >> --
> >> Respectfully,
> >> Stanislav Putrya
> >> System administrator
> >> "RMK Kovsh" Ltd.
> >> IM: 328585847
> >> mob. phone: +79525600664
> >> email: root.vagner@gmail.com
> >> email: vagner_rider@bk.ru

Keyven, russia's government as far as i understood the meaning of the
law and how it understood the lawyers of my environment requires
certification for all OS used for processing personal data. From Linux
on a date, certified by my data only commercial building & ALT Linux.
The main question is that if the courts begin FBSD all still will have
to address the issue of certification at the level of the country.
Redarding the data is in municipal institutions - advence i received
from the branch suggests that the processing of personal data applies to
commercial entities, as well as the personnel department is making the
personal data of employees as well as accounting. It was very
interesting to hear the admins YANDEX & RAMBLER, as representatives of
the russia organizations most ambitiously using FBSD in their
activities...

--
Respectfully,
Stanislav Putrya