Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:24:19 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

Don Lewis writes:
> On Oct 16,  6:09am, David Kelly wrote:
> } Subject: Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching
>
> } Why not? It might be interesting to put a recording voltmeter such as a
> } digital storage oscilloscope on the HD power leads when Don is punching
> } the reset. No telling what kind of voltage surges are generated when
> } the load on the power supply is altered.
>
> Ok, so the chapter in the handbook about SCSI write caching will recommend
> connecting a recording voltmeter to the power supply and monitoring it
> under varying load (including when the reset button is hit) to make sure
> there are no problems before enabling write caching?  Repeat this procedure
> after adding new hardware and periodically as the power supply capacitors
> age.
>
> And you still can't prove that you don't have a power supply problem
> lurking, since you can't prove a negative.  All you can state is that
> the power looks clean under the conditions that you tested.  Problems
> still might occur when the machine is placed in service.

I do not suggest use of a recording voltmeter or storage oscilloscope be
mentioned in the handbook. My point is that in this day of generic PC
parts the quality control aspect is getting skipped. While an individual
PS may be tested for UL compliance, and the MB for FCC emissions, the
system as a package gets skipped. The Mom & Pop PC Shop doesn't have a
clue other than, "We sold 100 systems this month and you are the only
one complaining." Testing for FCC emissions levels and UL safety on
entire systems are nil.

For data loss on reset you can prove a negative if you can reproduce the
failure during your measurements. If you sample the voltage often enough
thru the event then you can prove there was not a slower voltage spike
causing the problem. My 50 MHz DSO says it samples at 100 MHz.

Its much harder to monitor current as your power leads would have to be
cut or some other inline calibrated very low value resistor inserted.
But to do a complete job current should be monitored also. Current
measurements will tell you if the load on the PS is changing. If current
doesn't change significantly thru a RESET, then this is not a boundary
condition. Problems are usually found at the boundaries.

My suggestion of monitoring the power supply came from the nature of
this list and its participants where skills and tools are above average.
And the result is a product which is well above average and suitable for
use by those who never give it a second thought.

A handbook entry on SCSI caching is a attempt to cause such as second
thought in more than would have in the first place.