Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:02:49 -0500
From:      "Avery Fay" <averycfay@yahoo.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Getting started (hacking that is)

Hello everyone,

I am interested in contributing code to the FreeBSD project, specifically
the kernel but I am not opposed to helping out with user applications if
they are in dire need of improvements. To preface my request for assistance,
I should tell everyone that I am young (18) without extensive programming
experience although I have held two jobs programming in C and feel fairly
comfortable doing so. Although I've never worked on a kernel I am currently
reading "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD OS" and "Modern
Operating Systems: Design and Implementation" so hopefully I have a rough
understanding of the theory.

I have heard that writing or improving device drivers if one of the easier
methods to introduce oneself to kernel programming. Unfortunately (or
fortunately I guess), all of my hardware works with FreeBSD. I guess my
question then is this: Can someone suggest a cheap piece of hardware with
atleast some documentation that FreeBSD is sourly lacking a driver for? Are
there any other relatively "easy" ways to learn how to code kernels? (i.e.
not writing a device driver)

Finally, I'd rather not work on the fxp driver based on the recent quite
hostile discussion on this list =). And if I'm totally out of line sending
this message to this list, please point me in the write direction or just
tell me to shutup and go away =).

Thanks in advance,
Avery Fay