Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:51:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting Pioneer CD changer to work

As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...
> Wilko Bulte wrote...
> > As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...

> > Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I just hit a brick wall:
> >
> > - my testbox with the Pioneer changer on it is 4.0-current
> > - my 'production' box is 2.2.8-stable
> >
> > What I need to do a remote kdebug is a gdb running on 2.2.8 (so aout itself)
> > while at the same time smart enough to understand elf (the 4.0-current
> > kernel).
> >
> > Would/should the following work:
> >
> > - export OBJFORMAT=aout on the 4.0 machine
> > - run a local make in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb
> > - take the resulting gdb binary to the 2.2.8 machine
> > ?
> >
> > Or is this cutting too many corners? Maybe also link gdb static?
>
> Yikes.  You might be able to get away with it if you run a statically
> linked ELF gdb from your 4.0 box on your 2.2.8 box.  I'm not sure, though.

Yikes indeed.

> Obviously you'll need the source and binaries on your 2.2.8 box, which I
> assume you'll compile over NFS from the 4.0 box.

That is exactly the config I'm using.

> That might work, but I'm really no expert on this.  All of my machines are
> ELF now, running either -current or 3.1-stable.
>
> > Alternative: could I use a 4.0-current *Alpha* box to remotely gdb? I.e.
> > can gdb read other architectures execs/dumps? Probably not I guess..
>
> I doubt that'll work.  Wouldn't you need an i386 gdb to understand the
> debugging kernel and talk over the serial port?

I don't know. It is just a thought. A bit bizarre one maybe :)

I decided to bit the bullet: 2.2.8 is going to be 3.1 via an upgrade,
probably tomorrow evening. Should give me elf support et al. And a
working gdb :)

> One other thing that would work is you could send me the changer. :)  Of
> course the postage from there would probably be more than the thing is
> worth...and then there's customs and all.

It's not worth it. And given it's sort of fragile nature I don't think
it would still work after a transatlantic trip.

Groeten / Cheers,
Wilko