Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:50:03 GMT
From:      Ralf Folkerts <ralf.folkerts@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/135040: FreeBSD/amd64 does not (always) detect disk on SB600/AliveXFire eSata 2

The following reply was made to PR amd64/135040; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ralf Folkerts <ralf.folkerts@gmx.de>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, ralf.folkerts@gmx.de,
 Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: amd64/135040: FreeBSD/amd64 does not (always) detect disk on
 SB600/AliveXFire eSata 2
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:46:30 +0200

 Hi,

 just a short Update on this:

 - Commenting out the two last lines of ata_ahca_dmainit (and also the
 definition of ctlr; the Compiler wasn't amused on unused local
 Variables) in ata-chipset.c does seem to correctly circumvent the
 Problem; I was able to boot w/o the "hw.physmem" Parameter and a
 buildworld/-kernel and install of both worked fine.

 - ASRock sent me a new BIOS; however, that made FreeBSD (and Linux) only
 "see" 3.5G of the installed 4G RAM. ASRock stated that more memory is
 only supported for Windows_64. Of course there were no DMA issues with
 only 3.5G visible.

 - Wasn't able yet to get more Info re. the BIOS-Patch that was applied
 by ASUS :-( Still trying.

 Cheers,
 _ralf_