Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 01:47:43 -0400
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   login.conf and "daemon" class

There's a comment before the default "daemon" class in login.conf
which indicates that the settings are used by /etc/rc.  We recently
came up against the filesize limitation in an unexpected way.  We
were trying to copy large files from one machine to another using
ssh.  Apparently, since sshd is started by a script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/, which is invoked by /etc/rc, the class "daemon"
limitations were implemented.  Thus, we were only able to copy
64M of the files over.

This has also affected a script I was running out of cron - a glimpse
indexing that was dying because of a malloc failure.  I traced this
to the same login.conf situation because when I killed and restarted
cron as root (rather than having it restarted from /etc/rc), the
script ran fine.

Now /etc/rc.local is also called from /etc/rc, so I assume the same
class "daemon" restrictions apply - is this correct?  If so, this
is a critical piece of information for everyone running servers
because, for example, we start a heavily hit mysqld out of rc.local,
and despite any customized settings we have for the user running it,
it would be bound by the "daemon" class until we killed it and
restarted it as another user.

Finally, while we're on the subject of login.conf, is there anywhere with
a layman's explanation of all the parameters?  If not, could someone put
one together?  I've read the man pages, but can't glean from them what
real world situation many of the parameters would apply to.  Some like
"filesize" are self-explanatory, but if you're not a programmer, you
don't know how to relate the errors you get to "datasize" and "stacksize".
E.g., to figure out which setting was giving me the malloc failure,
I would have to do trial and error.

Thanks for any comments.
Omar