Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2016 06:09:59 -0500
From:      Carmel <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Span in the lists

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 14:21:15 +0700, Olivier Nicole stated:

> Fernando,
>
> > What happened in the last few hours regarding the lists? I received
> > _a lot of spam_ from freebsd-ports@ freebsd-questions@ and other
> > lists.
>
> Per choice, the lists are open, it means you can post without being a
> member, it alo means spammers have kind of free access.

This is all because some asshole feels it an inconvenience to have to
register for the list. I did an experiment a year or so ago to see
how long it takes to sign-up, receive the confirmation email and
activate the account. It took only three minutes, and I was drinking
coffee at the time so I was not rushing. Three minutes is too much time
for these lazy jerks to spend, so we all must suffer. Thankfully, most
email forums are populated by more highly motivated and security minded
individuals, so this sort of problem does not occur.

--
Carmel