Date:      Sun, 9 May 2004 09:55:10 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        The Jetman <jetman@mycbc.com>
Subject:   Re: [4.9-R]Can I Make My DSL Connect Go Faster ?

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 11:50, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> The Jetman wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> >     Wes:  I've used a couple of Internet speed tests, at different
> > times, but always w/ the same configs.  Neither config has been
> > modified.  All of the results are the same.  I use ADSLGuide and
> > DLSReports as my speed tests, which are in different continents, but
> > both report the same speeds.  I use different browsers, but Java is
> > what does the deal.
>
> If you're using a DSL provider like Verizon which uses PPPoE, you might
> try adjusting your MTU down to 1490 or so, or else you will fragment
> large data packets and encounter quite a slowdown.
>
> Use something like this in your /etc/rc.conf file:
>
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1490"
>
> ...or run ifconfig directly and see whether this helps.

And then try downloading something from a real server instead of running the
stupid benchmark.  Really!  Burn up some bits getting something real, not
running somebody's artifical browser toy.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com