Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2019 20:18:23 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        freeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   amd64-> powerpc (32-bit) head -r349794 cross-build failures (via lld use and via devel/powerpc64-binutils use, both with system-clang used)

After getting back to freeBSD and updating from -r349444 to -r349794 I
retried the cross builds I'd reported on earlier, these are from-scratch
builds (initially an empty tree). I just summarize the failures below:

A) Cross building using system-clang and system-lld :

--- buildworld ---
make[1]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 347: SYSTEM_COMPILER: Determined =
that CC=3Dcc matches the source tree.  Not bootstrapping a =
cross-compiler.
make[1]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 352: SYSTEM_LINKER: Determined =
that LD=3Dld matches the source tree.  Not bootstrapping a cross-linker.
. . .
--- libc.so.7.full ---
ld: error: unknown argument: --secure-plt
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see =
invocation)
*** [libc.so.7.full] Error code 1

B) Cross building using system-clang and devel/powerpc64-binutils :

--- libc.so.7.full ---
building shared library libc.so.7
/usr/local/powerpc64-unknown-freebsd13.0/bin/ld: bss-plt forced due to =
/usr/obj/powerpcvtsc_clang_altbinutils/powerpc.powerpc/usr/src/powerpc.pow=
erpc/tmp/usr/lib/crtbeginS.o
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see =
invocation)
*** [libc.so.7.full] Error code 1

So the llvm update involved did not change the type of results.

(I'll not bother with a bootstrapped system

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went