Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 08:44:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: more modem question

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, M C Wong wrote:

> Hello comm and modem gurus,
>   At various time I see lots of mentiond about setting the modem in
> fixed speed mode. Can someone explain to me what exactly does it mean by
> fixed speed more ? Also, does it refer to fix modem between modem and
> modem, or modem and a DTE ? Also, does this 'fixed speed' mode only have
> meaning with dial-in or applies to modem used for dial-out ?

I think you are referring to a configuration which applies to the speed of
the DTE-DCE interface between the computer and the modem when used for
dialup purposes.  In this config, the two modems communicate with each
other at whatever speed they agree upon, but the dialin-modem to computer
interface stays at a fixed speed.  The benefit of this configuration for a
dialin system is that the remote user sees a login: prompt immediately
regardless of the speed used by the modems.

In the (IMHO) more typical matching-speed configuration, getty on the
dialin system tries giving a prompt, then watches for junk
characters/BREAKs/NULLs; if it sees something like that, it goes to the
next speed (configured via nx= entries in /etc/gettytab) and gives another
login prompt.  Because of this sequence, a remote user needs to know that
if they see "garbage" on the screen, they should press <Enter> or send a
BREAK until they see a good login: prompt.

The dialing modem and computer may also communicate with each other at a
fixed speed, but that would probably be to take advantage of compression
(MNP or V.42bis) in the modem-to-modem protocols.

>   Finally, what is the AT commands to set up my modem for fixed speed
> at 38400 or in general at speed X ? Does it require the DTE connected to
> it be set to the speed X and issue &W0&W1 command ? I can't seem to
> find any relevant command for setting this 'fixed speed' thingy.

It seems to depend greatly on your modem.  Perhaps look for something in
the documentation refering to "locking-speed", "fixed serial port speed",
or "serial port speed select".  I would assume that it would require that
your DTE be set at speed X and you would issue your modem's "commit to
NVRAM" command(s).

>   Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps,
Guy Helmer