Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2013 17:24:19 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] tmux and konsole characters

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:54:16 -0500
Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info> wrote:

> Thanks!  That was it...I opened a new konsole window, set the encoding
> to UTF-8 (which my arch linux box is using) and the lines show up fine.
>
> On a related note, I guess I can set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in my .bashrc and
> have that as my default, no?  Any nuances on en_US.UTF-8 vs. ISO8859?
> I've never really ever needed to deal with locales before, but I believe
> UTF-8 offers more characters, no?

	The iso8859 encodings are 256 character maps, the UTF-8 encoding
covers the entire million character range of unicode (or iso10646 which
amounts to the same thing) how well it displays depends on the font being
used. This one has pretty good coverage.

-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*

	There's a wonderful file around called UTF-9-demo.txt produced by
Markus Kuhn which shows off the capability of UTF-8 pretty well, and tests
your font support unmercifully (the font above can cope with the whole
document, and an up to date urxvt handles the alignment correctly).

	There is a great deal to be said for adopting unicode by default,
and generally in the form of UTF-8. I regard the iso8859 encodings as
basically obsolete. Unicode has it's faults, but it is the best general
purpose encoding system available. There are also tools for unicode that
can handle problems such as correctly sorting text for different languages
which is not as easy as you might think.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>