Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 01:04:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Ryan T. Dean" <rtdean@cytherianage.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on an IBM PC Server 325

Greetings and Howdy-
	I was gifted with an IBM PC Server 325 a few months back, and I've
been trying on and off since then to get FreeBSD loaded onto it.  Its
nothing too special - dual PPro motherboard with an onboard AIC7880 SCSI
controller.  There is currently only one processor in it (unchanged since
its arrival).  I cannot, for the life of me, get FreeBSD to load on it.
The machine hardlocks while loading the kernel, right after 'Waiting 15
seconds for SCSI devices to settle...' (complete boot -v output displayed
below).

	I've tried everything I can think of - loading the system with
just one drive attached, every different possible combination of drives
attached - hell, even with no drives attached.  Same deal every time.
I've changed SCSI BIOS options as well (one change at a time, and then
every possible permutation of options) - no dice.  I've tried with
different memory as well.  Heres how the system is sitting at the moment:

	internal SCSI chain
		ID0:	IBM		DFHSS2W
		ID1:	IBM		DCHS04W
		ID6:	IBM		CDRM00203
		ID7:	scsi controller
		ID10:	IBMAS400	DCHS09W
		ID12:	IBMAS400	DCHS09W
	the internal cable runs from the motherboard, to the CD-ROM, to
	HDD ID#0, HDD ID#1, HDD ID#10, then HDD ID#12.

	external SCSI chain
		(nothing)

While booting, the SCSI BIOS reports the following (versioning, etc)
Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra/Ultra W BIOS v1.25
(c) 1996 Adaptec, Inc. All Rights Reseved.

A boot -v provides the following output (well, at the tail end anyways,
as I can't pause the scrolling nor scroll up):

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: not probed (disabled)
sio2: not probed (disabled)
sio3: not probed (disabled)
sio4: not probed (disabled)
ppc0: not probed (disabled)
ed0: not probed (disabled)
fe0: not probed (disabled)
ie0: not probed (disabled)
lnc1: not probed (disabled)
cs0: not probed (disabled)
sn0: not probed (disabled)
isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices
BIOS Geometries:
 0: 0111f33f 0..273=274 cylinders, 0..254=255 heads, 1..63=63 sectors
 1: 0223fe3f 0..547=548 cylinders, 0..254=255 heads, 1..63=63 sectors
 2: 03fefe3f 0..1022=1023 cylinders, 0..254=255 heads, 1..63=63 sectors
 3: 03fefe3f 0..1022=1023 cylinders, 0..254=255 heads, 1..63=63 sectors
 4: 004f0124 0..79=80 cylinders, 0..1=2 heads, 1..36=36 sectors
 0 accounted for
Device configuration finished
bpf: lo0 attached
bpf: sl0 attached
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
(noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered.  0 SCBs aborted.

and thats it - nothing after that.  I've tried -questions, no luck there.
I decieded to try and brave new terrirory and bug -scsi, but I received a
nice yet firm notice that that wasn't the place for this, and was pointed
here (-stable).  I'm not sure what else to do, so I turn to you.  I've
never had a problem like this on any of my other FBSD boxes (numbering
seven at the moment), but then, I've never had onboard SCSI (or any sort
of SCSI) on any of the other machines.  I don't think its a termination
issue - the machine came to me with Win2k loaded on it, and I've been able
to successfully reload Win2k on it again.  So, as I said, I'm not sure
whats up - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I'd appreciate it if I could be CC:'d on any response, as I'm not
currently tracking -STABLE.

Many thanks in advance.

		-Ryan T. Dean
		rtdean@cytherianage.net