Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:29:58 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>
Cc:        Chris <kingsqueak@home.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 on 4-Stable buildworld; bad memory or what?

R Joseph Wright wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:24:41PM -0400, Chris wrote:
> > I like the AMD's, have a K6-3/450 here with a really heavy Alpha
> > heatsink on it and a 27cfm bearing fan.  Even with that fan... it just
> > doesn't like make buildworld or building X without the case cover off
> > though. Though it's not a small problem... it still performs well for me
> > overall.  My older K6/2 200 here can build all day no problem...the new
> > ones just got really hot.
> >
> > I actually had to give up on fbsd for my work desktop because the
> > cheapie fan on the K6/2 450 I have just wouldn't cut it, even with the
> > case off and the thing would just plain reboot on any moderate sized
> > builds. I just don't have the time at the office to mess with it and my
> > workstation is a management station of sorts as well.
>
> I had these problems with my K6/2 450 until I finally got out the sandpaper
> and lapped both the CPU and the heatsink.  The heatsink needed it much worse
> than the CPU.  I have had only one reboot since I did that while loading the
> system heavily with an X build.  Even one reboot is not good, but it's much
> better than it was.

They weren't flat or what. I found I could cook the heat transfer tape
using an overclocked Celeron. I replaced the tape with heatsink
compound but doing a build of XFree86 3.3.4 had finished cooking the
cpu. I remember reading before where you did that and was going to ask
you why.

> www.pcpowercooling.com sells heavy duty heatsink/fans for many processors
> including the K6/2.  If my problems ever return I plan to buy one from them.

Another place is http://www.3dfxcool.com/. He has some fans that look
like they would lift the case off if you weren't using the cpu as a
thrust reverser.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg