Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:19:42 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>, Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Course of law (was: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping vi ctims  of terror)))

Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> In the democracies *I'm* aware of there's something called "war".
> >> A good example of this will be when a one country shoots at
> >> other country's civilians.
> >
> > No. In war, one country shoots at another's SOLDIERS. In a civilized
> > world, it is considered an atrocity to attack civilians. Which is
> > what terrorists do.
>
> Precisely.  Now tell me, who are the Israelis shooting in Palestine?

Israeli police are defending themselves with deadly force
against both resident aliens and (rarely) Israeli citizens.
Whether you should use machine guns against rocks is a
completely different question (a rock is a deadly weapon,
so while it may be apalling to use a machine gun in response,
if a machine gun is what you have in your hand...).

> I think I should point out that I'm targetting the Israelis here
> because they should know better, and that answering violence with more
> violence doesn't work.  In fact, I'm more sympathetic to the Israaeli
> cause than I am to the Palestinian cause.  I know that the
> Palestinians started it.  But this isn't the way to get people to stop
> if they're prepared to die for their cause.

Actually, if you eliminate _all_ of your enemies in the
process, answering violence with more violence works.

-- Terry