Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 23:54:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        FreeBSD-chat@freeBSD.org
Subject:   18G disk drives

I've been waiting a while to buy some replacement scsi disk drives.  I run
SCSI only, and I've wanted to buy a Ultra160 scsi drive, even though
(AFAIK) we don't yet support Ultra160, because I think we will do that.

The only affordable one, until last week, was a Seagate model, but I'd
been warned that it ran red hot, and having already lost two drives to
heat about 3 years ago, I'm just not willing to go down that road again.

Well, according to pricewatch, now you can buy the IBM DPSS-318350 18.3G
7200rpm drive (Ultra 160) for $375, and the only thing stopping me is that
I can't find anyone who's used it to tell me if it runs as cool as most
recent IBM drives, or if it's a hot puppy like the Seagate.

Anyone have any info regarding the DPSS-318350 and heat?

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.