Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:35:55 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lastlog/wtmp reporting incorrect info...

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, GVB wrote:

> I did;
>
> cp /dev/null /var/log/wtmp
> cp /dev/null /var/log/lastlog
>
> rebooted, and it still hasnt solved anything.. it looks like 200.accounting
> just does a;
>
> touch /var/log/wtmp.
>
> It is still not showing me that anyong is logged in when I run w, who, or
> finger.

w, who, and finger all use /var/run/utmp, which is cleared each time the
system is rebooted.  Check the permissions on /var/run/utmp, and make sure
all your terminals are listed in /etc/ttys.

HTH,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer