Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:26:46 +1000
From:      "Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Where to get assistance ??

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this stuff or not, but
already
tried in the questions list and haven't been able to get the answers I need
there. I appreciate the attempts a few people have made, but most of the
people who have tried to help have been way over my head and only
confuse me further than I already am. If anyone can suggest a more suitable
place to post stuff like this so I can get to the bottom of my setup
problems
I'd appreciate the feedback

I guess this stuff is considered so trivial by many of the experts that they
consider questions like these ones aren't even worth answering, but its sure
giving me nightmares

I have been working on the assumption that the problems are purely routing
table related, but now believe the root of the problems is far more basic
than
that  ..... as I understand it, normally a standalone internet connected
machine
doesn't need any sort of routing table in order to get ping, traceroute,
http,
ftp, irc, mail, news ICQ and whatever else working properly ..... so since
none
of those work it seems the problem is related to something in PPP rather
than
routing

I've been trying unsuccessfully for days now to get a gateway/router box
working. I'd like to be able to (eventually) get http, ftp, mail, news, irc,
and
hopefully ICQ access to the internet from boxes on the LAN running
whatever operating system.

I've read (but not understood much of) the Pedantic PPP Primer, the
PPP MAN, the PPP FAQ, the BSD Habndbook & the latest O'Reilly "Network
Administrators Guide", but I'm not getting anywhere fast

I have a 8 IP addresses from 203.3.126.128 - 135, subnet 255.255.255.248

My "resolv.conf" file lists both nameservers

domain.apana.org.au
nameserver 203.3.126.1
nameserver 203.3.126.3

My "Routing Table"

default                     203.3.126.128          UGSc      0  0
fxp0
127.0.0.1                127.0.0.1                   UH           0  6
lo0
203.3.126.128        ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:                 UHLWb  1  0
fxp0 =>
203.3.126.128/29  link#1                         UC           0  1
fxp0
203.3.126.129        203.3.126.130          UGHS     1 10710 fxp0
203.3.126.130        0:a0:c9:21:12:48:     UHLW     1 10724 lo0

Due to my lack of experience, simplicity of configuration is ESSENTIAL,
so its probably best to avoid potentially tricky stuff like masquerading or
the like.

The phone system in Australia is a bit unusual, we get untimed local calls,
but pay
up to 25c for each local one ..... consequently its desirable for those who
have a
permanent dialup connection to keep it up permanently. Dial on demand is NOT
good thing here like it is in US with "free" local phone calls. Cable
connections are
virtually unknown in private homes here, due to the pricing policy of the
dominant carrier.

203.3.126.129 is used for dialup modem interface, and 203.3.126.130 for the
NIC in
 the local gateway box

At the server end, there are two DNS boxes, 203.3.126.1 & 203.3.126.3, and a
http
proxy at 203.3.126.3 port 3128

I believe the correct IP address for remote gateway is 203.3.126.1

Neither PAP or CHAP are used, only the prompts for login & password,
although
dialling can be automated in Win9x with a script.

I can dial up manually, using "ppp", "term", ATDT<phone_number>, but can't
understand
how to even begin preparing a chat script, so any sort of automatic dialling
is out of the
question for the immediate future.

I have a local hosts file setup on the gateway box, and can successfully
ping other boxes
on the LAN by either name or IP address.

Initially I could not get a  response from the local gateway box modem
interface
(203.3.126.129), so I put  a line in /etc/rc.conf "route add 203.3.126.128
203.3.126.130"
and now can get a response, although its rather weird

36 bytes from oracle.apana.org.au (203.3.126.130): Time to live exceeded
.... then a
couple lines of other strange stuff. Maybe this is just due to the fact that
 both the
203.3.126.129 & 203.3.126.130 interfaces are in the same box or something

Once connected I can ping the first of the two DNS numbers (and get a
response)
but can't get a response from any other site.

Tried traceroute to known domains and (and numerical addresses) but the only
two
that respond are bryden.apana.org.au  / 203.3.126.129 (the local PPP
interface) &
gargoyle.apana.org.au / 203.3.126.1 (the remote PPP interface)

I've tried starting lynx but only response I can get out of it is "startfile
not found" regardless
of what I try to make it do.

One of many areas in which I'm a bit uncertain is the dialog box for
ethernet configuration
 when installing FreeBSD. Among other things, it asks for details of local
IP address, subnet
 mask, whether or not the box is a gateway, and something about address of
remote gateway.
I've always put the first of the two DNS numbers here as I have been led to
believe thats the
correct thing, although I've never had to enter that in any Windows box and
I've setup hundreds
of them. Given that my local ppp interface always uses the same number,
should I use
something other than 203.3.126.1 for that ?

Another area of concern is the ppp.conf file ...... I'm 99% confused about
most of it .... reading
the PPP MAN only makes me more confused every time I read it. If anyone has
a dialup internet
account and the type of login that prompts for login & password, I'd really
appreciate a copy of
their ppp.conf file as it might be a lot more help than the documentation
has been.

A lesser (but still annoying problem) is some kind of timeout that
disconnects the line, apparently
due to no data moving. What do I need to do to keep the line up permanently
even if nothing
happens for hours. I might add here that I pay for a dedicated connection,
its my line & my modem
 both ends, so its not as if I am "hogging" a common line.

I've had a suggestion about using something called a "shell script' but I
wouldn't recognize one of them
even if one tripped over me :( ..... where does a newbie go to read about
stuff like this in pre-school
language ??