Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:45:57 +0100
From:      lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
To:        Konstantinos Fotiadis <bookman@oteglobe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General Security Issues

On Monday, 2004-03-01 at 19:21:28 +0200, Konstantinos Fotiadis wrote:

> Yeap, sendmail is down.
> However inetd.conf is up but it only starts the SSH daemon. Is this a
> problem-threat ?

No, but it is not needed, and you should turn off everything you do not
need. Run sshd in standalone mode. It's much faster that way, anyway,
because it computes a key on every start.

Put this in /etc/rc.conf:
  sshd_enable="YES"

> PS: Is this the right list for security questions or not ? Cause I got an
> e-mail from someone that this isn't....

It is *meant* for developers discussion security issues. But that rarely
happens, and there is no list for security-related discussions but lowly
users. So this list acquired that function. The majority does not
object, to that change, probably because they feel that this function is
needed. So do I. I have no time to read freebsd-questions, and I mostly
don't care for the discussions there.

I would be entirely in favour of freebsd-security-questions, but nobody
seems to be willing to start it.

(Ducks in anticipation of flames.)

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze                         |