Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 19:39:23 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Rick Siple" <rick.siple@worldnet.att.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unstable Timecounter?

>    I am having some trouble with a older computer with a P90 overdrive
chip
>in it.  The kernel clock seems to be running fast.  I rebooted the computer
>to reset the CMOS clock, but it was correct.  I checked the dmesg logs and
>found that the messages about the TSC counter reported a different
frequency
>every time the computer was rebooted.  The other counter, i8254, seems to
be
>stable.
>    Is this problem fixable or is the hardware bad?

Yes to both...

I have a Dell Dimension XPS P90 with a 166MHz Intel Overdrive that does the
same thing. (It also did the same thing with the original P90 CPU).

You can correct the bad TSC value, and get better timekeeping, using:

    # sysctl -w machdep.tsc_freq=166209907

(Replace the '166209907' with something closer to your '150000000'; do some
experimenting to see which keeps time the best...)

To automate this during boot, I added a script (tsc_freq.sh) to
/usr/local/etc/rc.d:

    #!/bin/sh
    echo ""
    /sbin/sysctl -w machdep.tsc_freq=166209907 | logger -s
    echo ""

Good luck!

--Dan

--