Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2015 09:37:02 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing Drive with SSD

--j5dJLHCwXLaJNi84BnrUUq6OfVEdImQ9w

On 08/28/15 07:59, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I am having to replace a drive with a SSD.  Normally if I were
> replacing it with another drive, I would hook up the new drive to the
> computer and just use dd to copy everything (system would be
> quiescent).  Can I do the same with a SSD or does it need to be setup
> differently?  This is a boot drive (i.e., the only drive in the
> system).  The system is currently working fine, but the drive temp is
> starting to go up so I want to replace it before anything bad
> happens.

Yes, SSDs look just like spinning rust drives to the system.  All the
normal commands you'ld use to wrangle partitions and copy data around
will work just fine.

You should take care to align partition boundaries on block-size
multiples -- and block sizes have tended to increase recently with the
increase in size of storage media generally.  But that's not special to
SSDs.  Then use dump and restore to copy your data over to each partition=
=2E

	Cheers,

	Matthew