Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:32:55 +0000
From:      Phil Payne <phil@sal-n-phil.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba, Cups and Printing: Windows client gives "Access denied"

Hi,

I've got an HP printer on USB port on Freebsd 4-Stable box. Printer is
on /dev/ulpt0. Installed cups and printing from BSD is fine.

Had samba installed and working great for filesharing. Now introduced an
all printers share to share this printer. Printer is browseable from
windows machine.

When I install this printer on a Win2K machine (and use local drivers) I
get "Access Denied, Unable to Connect." Unlike some other people's
experience I cannot print to the printer despite this message.

I've found lots of references to others having this problem on BSD and
LINUX on the web but no resolutions.

Of course, BSD questions is where all the really clever people hang out
so someone here is bound to know ;-)

I couldn't find any resolution in the mailing list archive so does
anyone know of an answer or is this a bug in operation between Winblows
and Samba?

Below is the global and printers sections of my smb.conf. This was
generated by webmin but I do understand and have written smb.conf
manually in past.

Thanks,
Phil

[global]
        log file = /var/log/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        interfaces = 192.168.100.254/255.255.255.0
        dns proxy = no
        printing = cups
        encrypt passwords = yes
        path = /var/spool/samba