Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:51:36 +1100
From:      Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELEASE_6 -> RELEASE_8

In message <4D46119F.5060101@sentex.net>, Mike Tancsa writes:
> On 1/30/2011 6:45 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > 	I was trying to upgrade a machine from RELEASE_6 (latest)
> > 	to RELEASE_8 (latest) via source.  I was unable to get
> > 	make buildworld to complete.
>
> Strange, I have done a number of machines going from RELENG_6, RELENG_7
> and then RELENG_8 without too much issue.  The ports can be a bit
> problematic, but of the half dozen or so I have done, it hasnt been an
> issue.  Were you using a custom kernel, or GENERIC as defined from each
> of the branches ?

It's the double release jump that doesn't work.  Looking at 7.x the
headers needed are installed in /usr/include.  Similarly 7.x's gcc
has the symbol but doesn't turn on the compiler flags which use it.
Basically RELENG_8 is not completely building against itself.  Trying
to go from 6.x to 8.x is showing some of places where the new OS
doesn't build against itself.

This was with GENERIC for all builds and almost no ports installed.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org