Date:      30 Nov 1999 06:22:24 -0800
From:      polarbear@asiamail.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting Qmail As Background Process

Hi,

I have the following in my /etc/rc.local file,

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mydomain.com \
/usr/local/bin/checkvpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -u 1006 -g 1006 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &

It seems that one of the above process or rather maybe both does not execute as a background processes upon loading at bootup. Instead they stay on the console, thus preventing the Login: prompt from being displayed.

I will appreciate it very much if someone can enlighten me on how to modify the commands above so that they will stay as background executing processes.

Please kindly CC: a copy of your reply to my e-mail address as I am not on the mailing list.

Thank you.

Regards.