Date:      Sun, 27 May 2012 16:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why I am upset

On Sun, 27 May 2012, Warren Block wrote:

> There can be a tremendous investment of time in using software, whether
> "free" or not.  Money too, often.
>
> Those who work to write, port, and support free software also spend a
> tremendous amount of time in doing that.  Money too, often.
>
> So both parties have a large investment, and it's easy but counterproductive
> to get emotional about it.  Take a deep breath, be polite, and try to
> appreciate the other guy's problems.  Otherwise it just ends up creating more
> problems, and there are already enough.

Warren makes a great point. In years past Greg Lehey used to post, "How to ask a
question", or something similar. Its worth resurrecting that. As I recall, the
major points were: Nobody here is getting paid to do this; there are a great
number of people with a wealth of information willing to help; and, its up to
the one asking the question to do it in such a way as to peak someones interest.

On 05/26/2012 05:40 PM, Franci Nabalanci wrote:
> I did use portmaster for KDE 4.8 update and it stopped:
>
> The devel/kdebindings4-python port has been deleted: kdebindings ports have
> been refactored.
>
> Update aborted.
>
> And I don't know how to save a problem.

If it is repeatable, re-do the operation with:

   script error.log <the-original-command>

I use [and love] FreeBSD as a workstation because: I get better performance with
hardware that I would otherwise throw away. I am sure of this because no charity
will take anything I am "done" with. I assume all on this list use FreeBSD for
similar or their own reasons. Hence the 'captain obvious statement', the FreeBSD
sucks threads tend to degrade in direct proportion to their length.

When things go wrong with upgrading a workstation port tree they can [often??]
go really badly. A couple of tools and/or techniques can help: pkg_cleanup,
pkg_tree, the pkg port to revert a port to a previous level. Check out anything
named pkg_ in the port collection.