Date:      Mon, 19 May 2014 04:28:23 -0400
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap and other discussions on freebsd-net: please be open minded.

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a netmap list that these questions (regardless of OS) could go t=
o?

=E2=80=8Bno there isn't one. At the moment there isn't enough traffic
to suggest that, and creating one is likely to generate
traffic to both the specific list and freebsd-net.

Note, the problem is not only for netmap: we have ipfw+dummynet
which is already cross platform, and as we bring pieces of the kernel
to userspace (see=E2=80=8B e.g. the various efforts related to bringing
up the network stack) we lose the tight bind to the os.

cheers
luigi

(context below)