Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:11:02 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   USE_GCC=3.1 in Ports

Hello,

this should mostly apply to the maintainer of the gcc31 port, but it
will most likely be the case when people try the same I did:

I wanted to make openoffice with USE_GCC=3.1 - it had a dependency on
gcc31 then and started the install. USE_GCC=3.1 was passed to the make
of gcc31 - so it depended on itself and fell into an endless recursion
(which I could hardly stop when the machine had load of 913! :-)).

Maybe the gcc31 port should have something in the makefile to stop the
dependy on itself or the openoffice port should at least not pass the
setting or stop with a notice, when trying to build with USE_GCC=3.1
while it is not installed.

I do now install the gcc 3.1 first and the restart the OpenOffice build,
so I don't have any problems, you got to solve (sure you guys have
enough to do). But take it as a suggestion to prevent problems at other
places.

Thanx, Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |