Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2013 19:43:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "James E. Pace" <james@pacehouse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 won't boot after install

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, James E. Pace wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate your trying to help me.
>
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, James E. Pace wrote:
>>
>>> I bought an HP Pavilion p7-1597c [1] system last week.  It is Intel Core
>>> i5-3330, with a Seagate 1.5 TB SATA drive and 12 GB of memory, shipped with
>>> Windows 8.
> [...]
>>> I am able to complete the install of FreeBSD 9.1/amd64 from the CD without
>>> any problems.  However, when I attempt to boot, it doesn't.
> [...]
>>> After an install, I get to the boot0 (the F1 boot menu thing) screen, but
>>> when it tries to boot, it prints "#" and doesn't boot.  When trying to
>>> share the disk with Windows, mostly I'd get boot errors about not having a
>>> bootable device (ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has
>>> failed.).
>
>> boot0 is the multi-boot loader.  I'm reasonably sure it will not work on a GPT disk.  GPT needs the PMBR loader.  This should be correctable by using the Shell option of the install disk:
>>   # gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
>>
>> The installer would write that by default on a blank disk.  I don't know what it does when partitions are added to a GPT disk.  For that matter, I'm not sure how you got boot0 on there.
>
> boot0 must have been installed when I did MBR partitioning, and/or PCBSD did it?
>
>> If there is nothing on the disk to lose, I would start from scratch by going to the shell from the installer:
>>   # gpart destroy -F ada0
>>
>> Return to the installer, and it should find the entire disk unpartitioned.
>
> I booted the 9.1 install CD, executed "gpart destroy -F ada0", and
> installed.  After completing the install, boot fails with:
>
> ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

That is a BIOS error, probably due to UEFI expecting a certain disk
layout when it finds GPT.

> I booted the install CD again, and executed:
>
> # gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0
>
> and rebooted.
>
> I got the same error:
>
> ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.
>
>> If you really want to multi-boot, reinstall Windows 8.
>
> The Windows ship has sailed -- the system didn't come with media, and
> the install has been removed.  So, I'm committed. :)

Always image the disk that comes with the machine.  I like to do that
before the first boot.  Clonezilla works well for that.  Something to
remember for next time, anyway.  You may be able to get Windows
reinstall media from HP.

> Do you have any other suggestions?

Use 'gpart destroy' again, and set up an MBR partitioning scheme:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=149210&postcount=13