Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:48:36 -0700
From:      PSA <listmstr@posom.com>
To:        Alex Pivovarov <apivovarov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eclipse GUI speed issue

Alex Pivovarov wrote:
> I have two OS (Suse 10 and FreeBSD 6.1) on my computer (Athlon-XP
> 1800+, 512Mb, Seagate 7200)
>
> Suse has jdk15 + Eclipse 3.2
> FreeBSD diablo-jdk15 + Eclipse 3.1.2  (both installed from packages)
>
> The problem is that Eclipse GUI works a bit slower on FreeBSD that on Suse.
> for instance:
> - trees open slower
> - class creation is slower
>
> I mean it's quite fast but it's observably slower than on Suse.
>
> I'd say that Eclipse GUI speed is similar on Suse and on Windows but
> observably slower on FreeBSD.
>
> Do you have any idea why it could be.

It's hard to compare different versions of both the JDK (diablo vs. sun)
and Eclipse (3.1.2 vs. 3.2) and call it an OS-related issue.  That said,
Eclipse doesn't seem to be well maintained on FreeBSD.  It is kind of
annoying that Eclipse decided to hard-wire the OS into the build system,
and, of course, they pretended that *BSD didn't exist.

At the moment this list is dead and Eclipse is not being supported on
FreeBSD.  I assume that everyone has other priorities right now, but I'm
hopeful that it will get picked up again.  Considering that even my
OpenBSD system has a 3.2 port on it, it's hard for me to justify
spending more time learning about this codebase to finish updating the
port when I could simply move to any other platform for it.

I am curious, though, as to what happened to the original porter(s) and
why they aren't even responding on the list anymore.

psa