Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:24:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xview-lib: /usr/ports expected?

Satoshi Asami writes:
 >  * in the xview-lib port, it expects there do be a
 >  * /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/xview-config/
 >  * but I was building elsewhere, i.e. not under
 >  * /usr/ports.  (I can imagine the situation where
 >  * a non-privileged user might want to build a port,
 >  * for example.)
 >
 > Actually you're supposed to be setting PORTSDIR by yourself in that
 > case. :)

Ah hah!  Thanks for the clue.

I'm probably not the only one that gets all my ports off of the
website (since my ports collection has long gone out of date and I
can't be bothered keeping it up).  The tar files from www.freebsd.org
all expand to pub/FreeBSD/...etc..., and this doesn't match up with
/usr/ports, so I would think that PORTSDIR might deserve a little
rethinking.  Just a thought.

I might mention while I have your attention that I very much
appreciate the work that you ports folks do!  The ease of installation
for just about everything under the sun is something that I catch
myself taking for granted because 95% of the time it just works!
Thank you thank you.