Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:56:08 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbnRpxaFlaw==?= Farka <frantisek@farka.eu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 + PHP
References:  <CAJxePNJcTh0QZfr_YOLwN-R1nOrdJETxgMPPm78S35MAsipsug@mail.gmail.com> <aef8c5199b6d01d3fc5d21ac120574a7.squirrel@pop.pknet.net> <CAJxePN%2BGKorAeHCh0HRfUqwAOJ-x%2B_xtPiHk_XDuRAmJWYdgoQ@mail.gmail.com> <4F0C0E3D.7010906@nagual.nl> <CAHieY7Ty_4_wziq217Y7pAAzGTZOX-0EY%2Bf4J-bgF5_RtCyD4w@mail.gmail.com> <4F0C4BF6.6030401@my.gd> <CAHieY7Sdya37xcw7peyygQgJcefXTwWN4N4eNq6h8OB3y=KQLw@mail.gmail.com> <4F0C63E6.6020604@my.gd>

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:14:30 +0100
Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd> wrote:

>=20
>=20
> On 1/10/12 4:34 PM, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd> wrote:
> >>

> >=20
> > [...]
> >=20
> >>
> >> Mine is, as I pointed out in my earlier reply to Dick, that people
> >> who don't even *use* apache shouldn't get stuck with a *useless
> >> apache module* just because they installed PHP.
> >>

> >> A possible alternative that would keep everyone happy would be
> >> *another* package that actually includes the module, like for
> >> example a package called "mod_php5", it would install the stuff
> >> from php5 + the apache module.
> >=20
> > Could be, something like mod_perl, but contrary from Perl, PHP is
> > not very useful without Apache anyway.
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> And who are you to claim that "php is not very useful w/o apache
> anyway" ? I mean, just because it falls within your needs doesn't
> mean it's a good option for everyone.
>=20
>=20
> In the same way, I could claim that rsyslogd should replace syslogd in
> the base system because I find it better, so everyone should use it.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> We use PHP here in a production environment on many servers that have
> never seen, and will never ever see, apache.
>=20
> On some it runs daemons, on some it runs scripts, on yet some others
> it's served by either nginx or lighttpd, not to mention dedicated
> fastcgi servers that don't have a web server running to begin with.
>=20
>=20

The thing is much more users probably use PHP with Apache than
standalone. Although you described other way, it is not the way=20
majority of user would use.

>=20
> IMO the best option would be a separate package, enforcing an apache
> module on people that will never ever use it is just plain dumb.
>=20
> This also seems to be the opinion of the port's manager, seeing
> mod_php is unselected by default.

Separate package would probably be the best option. But default
flags/packages should be ready-configured for most of users, shouldn't
they? For others there are still ports.