Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:32:52 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

At 5:02 PM +0000 2000/3/17, Paul Richards wrote:

>  You may think that's a good thing, but that's a whole different argument
>  i.e. do we want BSD to be a mainstream OS in the first place? Not
>  everyone does.

	That's a good question.

	Myself, I'd like to see it become much more mainstream than it is
today.  I don't want it to become the next Microsoft Windows (or much
of anything else from that company), but I would like to see it
become much more mainstream than it is today.

	Personally, I think this is going to happen.  The marketing in
the past hasn't been very good, but I think that the folks at BSD,
Inc. recognize that this needs to change, and that they need to do
whatever it takes to make this change.

	This isn't to say that they'll sell out everything that the
community believes in, in order to make it a fully mainstream OS,
just that they need to put some serious marketing behind the product,
and let the technical side take care of itself (as it has always
done).