Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:25:48 -0500
From:      Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   best way to back up entire disk?

[please CC me, I'm not subscribed]

I'm looking for a way to back up my entire system in such a manner that
if it fails and I need to restore it, I would be able to do it to any
arbitrary disk without having to first install the base OS before
restoring. I'm running -CURRENT.

What I have at my disposal is a CD-RW drive (ATAPI, but that really
doesn't matter so much with ATAPI-CAM in the tree), one disk (ad0) with
only FreeBSD on it, and no other machines to do network backup to.

Ideally, I want something that can automatically span multiple CD-RW's
when writing and can be restored using only the tools on the CD-2 live
fs. Just boot from CD-2, swap CD's, restore to a totally blank disk,
reboot, and it's all as good as new.

Dump/restore and tar (both using cdrecord to write) are the only things
I can think of, but neither of these seems ideal to me.

--
Ray Kohler <ataraxia@cox.net>
While anyone can admit to themselves they were wrong, the true test is