Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:39:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "That Doug Guy" <tiller@connectnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   File descriptor information please

That Doug Guy writes:
 > 	I need information on the relationship between the amount of RAM
 > in a machine and the total number of file descriptors available, and
 > whether and how this is related to the maxusers option in the kernel
 > config.  I understand from "The Complete FreeBSD" that maxusers
 > relates to the total number of processes, but I'm a little fuzzy on
 > the topic of file descriptors.  I did a search from the www page on
 > *descriptor* and got nothing.  A search on descriptor* got me
 > http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook287.html which didn't have
 > the info I needed.  A search of the mail archives didn't get me
 > anything that applied to my situation.

A little poking around in /usr/src/sys/conf/param.c shows us:

  #define NPROC (20 + 16 * MAXUSERS)
  int     maxproc = NPROC;                /* maximum # of processes */
  int     maxprocperuid = NPROC-1;        /* maximum # of processes per user */
  int     maxfiles = NPROC*2;             /* system wide open files limit */
  int     maxfilesperproc = NPROC*2;      /* per-process open files limit */

I believe maxfiles is the figure you're looking for.