Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 12:33:55 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, des@flood.ping.uio.no
Subject:   Re: new ppbus driver problem

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 12:01:37PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    This is with -current.
>
>    I've been getting crashes during boot with the new ppbus stuff and lpt0
>    enabled.

	Hmm, your the first reporting such problem.

>    It detects the parallel port just fine, but further on in the boot
>    sequence the system gets an RTC error and then it just locks up
>    completely... it doesn't even get past the kernel config ( never gets
>    to execing init ).

	What's your hardware? Motherboard, and parallel port chipset?
	Parallel port is generaly handled by a superIO chip, but your
	system may rely on the PCI/ISA chip..

>    I was able to solve the problem by commenting out most of the probe code
>    in i386/isa/ppc.c, as shown below.  I don't know which port in the probe
>    code is causing the problem, but something in there is blowing up my
>    systems.
>
>    Maybe the probe code should be a little more conservative, with a
>    kernel config option to be less conservative ????

	A boot option is available for this. Undocumented :( flag 0x40
	for ppc at boot does it.

--
nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org