Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 1996 19:21:50 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        drizzt@shadowlands.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-processors

Russell Epstein wrote in message ID
<31E1E4D0.1088@shadowlands.com>:
> Does FreeBSD support multi-processors.  I run a mud and we just
> dumped linux and switched to FreeBSD.  We need to jump to a faster
> computer because the one we have can't handle the load.
> I am really hoping it supports dual-processors :)

I really WOULD be surprised if your MUD actually gained anything from
running in a multi-processor environment, unless it relies on separate
processes to do different tasks. Most servers of this sort that I have
seen tend to be monolithic programs, and only have one process which
actually does anything. Multi-processor support will only give you
gains in situations where you have lots of separate processes
competing for the time on a single processor, as the load could be
shared across the multiple processors instead (in which case you run
into memory, disk, and other i/o bandwidth limitations instead).

As for SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) support in FreeBSD, it's in
the works, but it isn't in any of the releases to date, and won't be
in the next one (2.1.5, which will be out later this week). It'll
likely be in 2.2 though, which is due out about the end of the year.

If you want to try the current SMP support, and have a Pentium based
machine which is capable of supporting multiple processors, then you
can talk to the people on the `smp' mailing list (and they'll probably
kill me for sending you there, but I forgot the details, so I can't
tell you).

Gary