Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2016 16:14:52 -0400
From:      Andre Goree <andre@drenet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Borked system, possible to do a worldbuild via  =?UTF-8?Q?USB=3F?=

Hello list. Yesterday I got my long lost home server back on which I was
running FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE.  I thought the smart thing to do would be
to upgrade to 10.3-RELEASE because, what could possible go wrong, right?
  I'll skip the details, but I'm basically left with an unbootable
system, as init cannot even finish before failing with this error:

"Init can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: Exec format error"

I believe that this is due to my having rebuilt world with erroneous
make.conf options, and I'd love to be able to rebuild the world via USB.

I've already got my USB handy and will be working on this when I get
home, but I wondered if there's a why I can rebuild the world on my
server's disk after having booted from the USB?  Perhaps, mount the
server's disk and chroot into it?  Should that work?  Thanks in advance!

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net
Website   - http://www.drenet.net