Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 16:02:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS heads up

> : That's very different from what the GPS experts at SRI tell me.  They
> : start to average things out in a matter of hours, and within a week can
> : have it almost gone.  However, they're also using multiple satellites,
> : which allows them to more quickly find the center.
>
> The experts here tell me that professional surveyers get sub meter
> accuracy with in about an hour with commercially available hardware.
> This was with SA.

That's more in line with what my 'expert' friends have told me as well.
~24 hours to get 1 cm accuracy with tweaked gear with SA enabled.

> He estimates that now it would take about 6-10
> minutes to do the same thing since SA is turned off.

Wow, that's even faster than I thought it would take, since you've still
got ionosphere noise, which is harder to 'average out'.

In any case, this discussion has been a refreshing and enjoyable change
from some of the others on the mailing lists. :)

Nate