Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 22:34:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

> In order to combat the absolute flood of spam which has been coming
> into my mailbox lately, I've gone to more aggressive sendmail filtering
> which:
>
> 	A) Blocks mail from you if you don't have a valid hostname
> 	   (this means that I've been bouncing mail from hosts like
> 	   "moose.mindspring.com" and "yokota.mech.kobe-u.ac.jp",
> 	   both of which probably represent actual legitimate
>            attempts to send me mail).

Quick question.  If I have a valid 'MX' record, is that good enough?  My
email comes from 'user@mt.sri.com', and there is no machine
'mt.sri.com', since it represents all the hosts in my domain and not a
particular host in general.  However, my email is correctly MX'd so that
email will be correctly sent to the correct machine.  This is 'the way
it should be' for organizations where email may come from any number of
machines, but should be sent to a specific (aka. centralized) machine.
This is necessary for both sanity as well as security, since it means
that I can setup *one* incoming mail server which is secure, and not
allow connections to the other boxes in my domain from external hosts.

Nate