Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 01:47:28 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More panics (different hardware)

Jordan, Cy and co.,

Here are my tests and the results. Have the whitecoats on standby.

In each case I ran a tight ps/top loop in the background, ie.

  # while true; do (ps -auxww ; top 50 | head -55 ) > $snapshot ; done &

I then ran the "periodic daily" with command echo, ie.

  # sh -x /usr/sbin/periodic daily | tee $ouputfile

1. No mfs, no fdesc

	Completed with no errors.

2. Both mfs mounts (/tmp and /var/run), no fdesc

	Completed with no errors.

3. Both mfs mounts and fdesc

	Crash.

I didn't check the space left in my /var, so I couldn't get the dump this
time. Since this appears reproducable and I need sleep, I will collect one
tomorow along with the rest of the information.

I'm still sure it crashed before I added fdesc. Ok, I'll come quietly.

BTW, renaming /var/run while working on the console was interesting.

-Andrew-