Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:57:37 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: boot ordering and syslogd

Sam Leffler wrote:

> I have _already_ demonstrated a need

I'm going to try this one more time. You've put forward an argument that
YOU find compelling. You might be right. I haven't even said that you're
wrong, just that I would like to hear more about it. Given the number of
years we've been working with the rc.d stuff with syslogd starting in
roughly the position that it's in now, I don't see this as the emergency
that it seems to me that you do.

> --the way things currently are ANY
> privsep/chroot application started prior to syslogd will NEVER log any
> messages.

It has always been a general expectation that at least chroot'ed apps
make provisions for their own logging, whether that's to syslog, to
other channels, or to both (as named is capable of doing). Solving this
in a general way would be nice of course, but given that no one
responsible for the stuff that starts before syslogd has mentioned that
a general solution is a hard and fast requirement until now, it's not a
topic that has received a lot of attention.

It's probably also worth mentioning that you can get at least some of
what you're looking for with the console syslog facility. I have:
*.*                                             /var/log/all.log
in my syslogd.conf file, and I get all the console messages in that log,
including the ones that come before syslogd is started. I don't suggest
that this is a final solution, but it is something that is available now.

> I noticed this because of dhclient (and wpa_supplicant which
> very shortly will be logging msgs to syslog) but I expect there are
> other services if you look and I wouldn't be the least surprised if more
> get added

Then I can certainly see why this issue has become important to you.

> (does named work?).

See above, also in the current order named starts after syslogd so this
is less of an issue for me.

> I didn't expect a fix to be simple; if it were I'd have just done it
> myself.  Saying "fix it your self and send us a patch" is worse than lame.

I think you missed the smiley. :)

It sounds like Warner and Brooks both have interesting ideas on this
topic in any case so I'll let them pick up the thread.

Doug