Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:39:55 -0500
From:      Marca Registrada <inf@nyef.res.cmu.edu>
To:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Coda FS: FBSD port done!, but development favors Linux

 I'm also extremely interested in using Coda on FreeBSD, and have offered
as much help as I can to Peter Braam, but CMU keeps their students fairly
busy ;), so the amount of actual codework I can put forth is rather
limited.  I'm still waiting for the release of the FreeBSD code so I can
least get started playing with it.
 The current Coda release that I know of for FreeBSD is supposed to be for
-stable, so my first project may be to port it to -current (although I've
heard this may be difficult), and it would be easier for me to make light
contributions from time to time to do whatever is necessary when the
-stable-patched are unworkable for -current.

Quoting Charles Owens (owensc@enc.edu):
> * Development, particularly in the area of scalability, is focused on
>   Linux.  Why?  His stated reasons:
>
>    * Linux's ext2fs filesystem is much faster than *BSD's ffs
>        (How good is FreeBSD's ext2fs support these days?  Is
>        it in 2.2.6 or must we wait for 3.0?)

  Would anyone think that softupdate's may fix this?  I havn't keep close
enough track of the discussion to know when softupdates may ever come
around, though.

>    * Current work is being done to develop Linux kernel extensions that
>        will allow access to files via raw inodes.  This development is
>        seen as key to allowing Coda to support large filespaces with
>        reasonable performance.  See this URL for Peter's notes on
>        these extensions:

 From the latest I heard on the Coda lists, Linus is very against this
becuase he feels it ruins the consistency of the FS interface.  This of
course can change at any moment.  The current proposal is to make an
filesystem where inodes can be accessed directly as files.. ie:

fopen("/mnt/__inode_#12345#","r");
  or something similar looking to that.  It actually doesn't sound like a
monster to implement at all.  And as a separate filesystem solves many of
the fsck problems Coda currently has.

I'm totally with you on wanting to get Coda going strong on FreeBSD, and
will lend all the free coding time I have.

As an aside, you also mentioned AFS.  Has that been progressign at all on
the FreeBSD front?  I havn't heard anything but light rustle about AFS.

--

   - All we hear is internet gaagaa, internet googoo, internet gaagaa