Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>
Cc:        Patrick Bihan-Faou <patrick@mindstep.com>, Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: imap, postfix, freebsd

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Vadim Chekan wrote:

> I tryed to run it but there are a problem. New Cyrus uses PAM. But
> non-root user hasn't got permissions to athentificate user by pam_unix.
> I don't know is this a feature or bug. It's possible to use Curus's
> users database.

This is because the passwords themselves are stored in /etc/master.passwd,
which is only readable by root (this is a generic problem with pam_unix on
systems with a "shadow" password file). Your solution is either to make
this file readable by the uid or gid which runs cyrus, or to use another
authentication mechanism.

Kris