Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 11:41:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is -O2 -m486 -pipe safe ?

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> a)I have read a few people have had problems with the 2.1.7 upgrade taking
> serveral tries before working.  This is a production machine that I cant
> have down for an "unknown" length of time with reboots and potentially tape
> backup restores

I've heard that from the people doing 'make world's.  :)  Never a prob
with the standard upgrade procedure.

> b)Although its a production machine, I would sort of like to use it as a
> general test to upgrading our main server. Also, if I can compile with
> optimizations, and I can get a bit of a performance boost out of it then
> great.   Its a pentium and the -m486 and -HAVE_FPU should in theory help
> for some of our apps... There is at least one user who runs some FP
> transformations on occasion.

OK, I'll buy that.

> I have tried this method on my home machine, and it 'seemd' to work.
> However, its the first time I did a make world, and I couldnt find much
> documentation on it... Any idea where I can find more docs on the process ?

Consult hackers@freebsd.org, they're the ones responsible for making sure
everything works.

> 3) did a make world in /usr/src

I've heard 'make all install' but I've never done this.

> I guess also, I would like to move to CSV style updates... Apart from the
> man pages, are there any extra docs on it?

CVSup has a section in the Handbook.  If Sup is running fine then you run
a prog to convert your existing supfile to cvsup format, and you're off
and running.