Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:16:40 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jodak@csc.com
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c509 Problem

On 6 Jul 99, at 9:06, jodak@csc.com wrote:

> Experienced a problem setting up the 3Com 3c509B ethernet card (ISA bus)
> under FreeBSD 3.2 (Walnut Creek CD-ROM). Card was set with IRQ = 10 and IO
> = 0x300. FreeBSD seemed to recognise the card correctly and added the ep0
> driver.  However, when ifconfig is executed (ifconfig ep0 inet 192.168.0.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0) the system hangs completely and needs to be
> physically rebooted. The system itself is very straightforward (Pentium
> 233, IDE CDROM, Floppy, IDE HD) and is known to work. No drivers were
> modified or disabled during installation.

The first question is, does it work under any other OS?  I'd rather
rule out the hardware problems first.  If it doesn't work under any
OS, then it's probably hardware.

3c509's have a good diagnostic and setup program you can get from
3Com's home page.  I'd double check the settings, and run the
diagnostics.  If there are problems, remember that 3Com gives all
the 3c509's a lifetime warranty.  Just call 'em and get an RMA - I
wish all vendors were as generous.

One other thing to check is to make sure that your motherboard
chipset is passing IRQ 10 to the the ISA bus. That's bitten me a time
or two.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

Recently Seen On A Bumper Sticker Near Your Home:
When you do a good deed, get a receipt, in case heaven is like the IRS.