Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 13:56:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Multiport serial cards

Since I'll be looking for a good multiport serial card
I'm curious about what we have for support.

We have:

cy.c: cyclades cyclom-y serial driver
sio.c: support for AST/4 compatable devices

I'm interested in a board that will let me receive continuous data at
28.8 on four ports without any problems.  At roughly 300 us per
character that will mean we have to service each port every 4.8 ms with
a 16550, or roughly 1.2 ms per port.  (Of course lots of times when
you're in the interrupt you'll be able to to serve more than one port)

I think I should use a board with a large FIFO, which I don't think
any of these have.

I'm looking at:

the Hayes ESP products (inexpensive at $600 for an 8 port card;
can look like a big 16550 and so driver work needed; Hayes is in
chapter 11 and at least some distributors claim they can't get
product);

the "Gtek" PCSS-8FX (a small company and pricey, about $1200.00
for an eight port card);

The Digiboard intelligent cards (about $1000.00 and no driver yet).

I thought there were comments about Digiboard being uncooperative.  I've
contacted them and the technical information is available on their
bulletin board and their dysfunctional www site.

Any thoughts on:

1. Using four 16550 ports as with the AST system in terms of loading;
2. Vendors for boards that look like "big 16550s"
3. Scoop about Hayes and Digiboard.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936