Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2007 10:38:48 -0400
From:      "Arend P. van der Veen" <apvanderveen@att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portsdb and cvsup

Hi,

I have recently been having trouble with running portsdb after cvsup.  I
am running 6.2-RELEASE-p7.

The approach that I had been using was:

/usr/local/bin/cvsup  -L 0 /usr/sup/supfile
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu

This had worked great until the emacs22 update.  Now portsdb crashes due
to the emacs entry in /etc/make.conf.  However, I see very little
chatter on the lists about this.  I have started to wonder if the bulk
of the community may be updating their ports differently.  Upon some
limited research I found that I could use:

/usr/local/bin/cvsup  -L 0 /usr/sup/supfile
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Fu

This work fine for me.  I can then use tools such as pkg_version,
pkg_delete, portinstall and portupgrade without any problems.

My open ended question is what does the rest of the community do to
update their ports collection?

Thanks,
Arend