Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2008 00:15:10 -0500
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        'User Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT: Silly Bind question

Excuse the OT question but I need a well rounded experienced group for
this question. I have begun a migration from Bind to TinyDNS. TinyDNS is
working flawlessly, beyond expectations. However I need to drag the old
Bind servers behind until I can get several hundred pieces of client
equipment and devices switched over to the new DNS servers. This because
we are also changing the domain name of our authoritative servers.

The problem, I have a client requesting SPF records. The TinyDNS servers
are responding correctly but for the life of me I cannot get Bind to
return a TXT record. I am baffled as to what I've done wrong.

An example domain, pixelhammer.com querying the new servers.
bash-2.05b$ dig @ns1.tls.net pixelhammer.com txt

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns1.tls.net pixelhammer.com txt
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      pixelhammer.com, type = TXT, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pixelhammer.com.        23h47m45s IN TXT  "v=spf1 ip4:65.196.224.82
ip4:65.196.224.83 ~all"

;; Total query time: 4 msec
;; FROM: avhost1.tls.net to SERVER: ns1.tls.net  65.124.104.29
;; WHEN: Sun Feb  3 00:10:36 2008
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 93

No problem there, but when I query the old bind servers, I get nuthin,
nada, zip.

bash-2.05b$ dig @ns1.totallogic.com pixelhammer.com txt

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns1.totallogic.com pixelhammer.com txt
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      pixelhammer.com, type = TXT, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
pixelhammer.com.        1D IN SOA       ns2.totallogic.com.
hostmaster.tls.net. (
                                        2008020219      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1D              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 3 msec
;; FROM: avhost1.tls.net to SERVER: ns1.totallogic.com  65.196.224.2
;; WHEN: Sun Feb  3 00:10:01 2008
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 102

Here are the contents of the zone file.
;Creating pixelhammer.com zone file
$TTL	1D
@	IN	SOA	ns2.totallogic.com.	hostmaster.tls.net.	(
	2008020219 3H	1H	1D	1D	)

; MX Recs
	IN	MX	10	avhost.tls.net.
	IN	MX	20	mailgate.tls.net.

; NS Recs
	IN	NS	ns1auth.tls.net.
	IN	NS	ns3auth.tls.net.
	IN	NS	ns2auth.tls.net.

; A Recs
	IN	A	65.196.224.25
www	IN	A	65.196.224.25
ftp	IN	A	65.196.224.25

; TEXT Recs
	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 ip4:65.196.224.82 ip4:65.196.224.83 ~all"

; CNAME Recs
mail	IN	CNAME	mail.tls.net.
smtp	IN	CNAME	smtp.tls.net.

;END pixelhammer.com zone file

I am stumped, what have I done wrong?

Thanks,

DAve

--
Google finally, after 7 years, provided a logo for
veterans. Thank you Google. What to do with my signature now?